self-confidence

.

POIRIER: Q & A with Coach Ed


BY COACH ED POIRIERSunday, March 11, 2012 1:12 AM EST
Article from The Sun Chronicle

I want to thank readers for the positive feedback I've received about encouraging young people in our community to be more physically active and to make better food choices.

Along with the feedback, I've also received questions about coaching. I hope to answer some of those questions to provide insight as to what I coach and, more important, why I coach.

Q. Where did you get your training?

A. I owe my start to Bill Wynn who, at the time, was the assistant track coach at Providence College and head coach of the Providence Track Club.

My athletic career started at 30 years old. I, like many other adult runners, read the running books and magazines and coached myself into injury and mediocre performances. Coach Wynn helped put my training schedule together and in a year I was winning races, running injury free, and enjoying the sport even more. I was amazed at the difference coaching made, and I knew I wanted to be a coach and to help others reach their full potential. After a quick apprenticeship, I was asked to coach the Providence Track Club's first women's team. I moved on to coach men and women for New England Multi Sport, which is an adult triathlon and track team, and then spent three years coaching individual male runners from Venezuela. During those 13 years of coaching adults, I honed my skills by consulting with various college coaches.

In 1996, my wife Diane and I started the Jaguar Youth Track Team at the Attleboro YMCA as volunteers. I received USA Track and Field coaching certification from the USA Olympic Track and Field Training Center in San Diego in 2001.

Q. What makes a good youth coach?

A. A good youth coach's first concern is developing the individual athlete. Developing the team as a support structure comes second and winning is not a concern at all. If individual development takes place within a supportive group, winning just happens.

"Bench sitters" should not exist in youth sports. If anything, less talented and less experienced athletes need more support and coaching help than the stars. Coaches should encourage all athletes to do their best - not just "try" their best. When an athlete does their best, whatever the outcome, they have accomplished something much more important than winning.

Coaches need to instill an appreciation of the sport, respect for fellow athletes, and the knowledge that their efforts and dedication will bring rewards. Everyone wins with that philosophy. Q. How has your work with kids has evolved? Are you more into it than you were or are you winding down?

A. From starting the Jaguar track team as volunteer in 1996, I was offered a position at the Y in 2003 to help youth who struggle with health risk associated with inactivity and poor nutrition. I'm involved with youth more now than ever. I lecture in schools, and the programs and activities I have developed in the community have influenced thousands of kids to get active and eat smarter. Winding down? I don't think so.

Q. Any highlights from youth coaching that you would like to share?

A. A big highlight was seeing a young athlete who started with the Jaguars at age 6 continue with the sport through high school and college. What makes that even more rewarding is that often these athletes take time from their high school and college schedule to come to the Jaguar practices to work with the younger athletes, which is something very special.

Q. Why do you enjoy working with kids?

A. I have hundreds of stories about children accomplishing things they would never had thought possible. This letter I received from a parent best sums up the reason why I coach:

"Coach Ed, My daughter has learning disabilities and her self confidence suffers quite a bit because of her perception that she is not as "smart" as everyone else. Having you stop her and tell her she was doing great was a great boost to her ego. She really loves the Jaguar track program and plans on continuing with it, now more so than ever. Sometimes without even realizing it, something you say makes a difference. Last night, you made a little girl stand up just a little straighter. Thanks for making a difference."

Coach Ed Poirier can be reached epattleboroymca@yahoo.com.


Article from The Sun Chronicle